In August 1909, Robinson designed an eight-room schoolhouse in Arlington, Va., which cost $11,500 to build. The Clarendon School opened in September 1910 and featured twin gabled bays on the north façade separated by a one-level portico at the central entrance with an arched opening above. This Classic Revival design was nearly identical to with the Franklin Sherman, Bailey’s Crossroads and Forestville schools later built in Fairfax, although the Clarendon School had Palladium windows in the pediments of both front bays.
In 1925, during a time when Arlington was renaming schools to honor important Virginians, the Clarendon School was renamed for Matthew Fontaine Maury. In 1954, the Maury School expanded with an addition to the rear elevation. Maury continued to operate as a public school until 1973, when students were sent to other schools and Maury closed.
The building remained vacant until 1977 when the Arlington Arts Center asked to take it over. The former classrooms and basement were used as artists’ studios and the large central hallway provided exhibition space. The Maury School was successfully adapted for this purpose and today is known as the Arlington Arts Center.
The former Maury School was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1999 under its original name, the Clarendon School.