Franklin Sherman School
In the early 20th century, Franklin Sherman, a longtime member of the Providence School District, lobbied for a new school to be built in McLean, Va. In early 1914, the district proceeded with plans to build the six-room McLean School and by June work on the foundation had begun. The McLean School opened that fall but its chief proponent had died so the school was renamed the Franklin Sherman School the following year.
Although no documentation could be located that identifies Robinson as the architect for the Franklin Sherman School, it shares the same basic design as the Bailey's Crossroads School and Forestville School and a nearly identical design as the Maury School in Arlington. Franklin Sherman had twin bays with triple window banks, protruding pediments with semi-circle windows below the gable roofline, and a central entrance with a portico supported by columns.
In the 1950s, the school was expanded with addition to the rear. Franklin Sherman closed in 1964 when a new school with the same name opened nearby. The old school operated as the Franklin Sherman Teen Center into the late 1960s before being demolished around 1971.