In the early 20th century, students in Alexandria, Va., attended schools segregated by race and by gender. In 1908, Alexandria commissioned Robinson to build a new school for white girls. The 16-room Lee School for Girls cost an estimated $30,000 and occupied the north side of the 1000 block of Prince Street.
The two-story building had a raised basement and two blocks of classrooms topped with low hipped roofs. These were joined by a center section, which served as a main entrance with a small balcony above the front doors. The brick and concrete structure had a terra cotta tile roof with a cupola above the center entrance.
The school, which opened in 1909, was later known as the Lee School when it became coeducational. It closed for several years in the early 1950s and reopened in 1957 as the Prince Street School. After being used for vocational and special education instruction in the 1960s, the Prince Street School was permanently closed by Alexandria City Public Schools in the mid-1970s.
After Alexandria sold the building, it was used primarily as an office building. Today the former Lee School is now home to Virginia Tech's Washington-Alexandria Architecture Center.